Company Pay Group
Purpose: Pay Groups are used to set up payroll period frequencies and their associated pay dates. Multiple pay groups can be added to accommodate different pay schedules or break large employee groups into more manageable sizes for running payroll. This help guide will teach you more about pay groups and show you how to add or edit pay groups for your company.
To create a pay group, click “Add Paygroup” and select when you’d like it to be effective.
- What is your Pay Period? - Select the payroll frequency from the list (Weekly, Bi-weekly, Semi-monthly, Monthly, or Quarterly).
- What is your Pay Group Description? - How do you want to describe this pay group to differentiate it from other pay groups?
- Start Date - This defaults to today’s date. The Pay Group will not actually be used until employees are assigned to it.
- End Date - Entering a date here will make the pay group inactive.
- Email Reminder Days - How many days in advance of the payroll due date do you want email reminders to be sent to payroll administrators?
- Use Job Text Box - If you are utilizing jobs for time sheet tracking, you can opt here to have the job listed as a text box instead of a drop down in the Payroll Center. This will speed up your payroll process.
- Show Extra Pay Details - Adds a separate section for Extra Pay to employees’ earning statement.
- Estimated Hours Override - Hours are automatically estimated for salaried employees. Check this box to allow this estimate to be overwritten.
- External Pay Group ID* - Connects pay groups between HR and TRAX systems if you are using a third party HR vendor that partners with TRAXPayroll.
- Show Future PayStub - Check this box to allow paystubs for future dates to be posted for employees to view prior to the pay date.
- Show Discard Button - If checked, this will turn on a feature in the Payroll Center where admins can dismiss a payroll run if they will not be using it. The next regular payroll run then shows up. This button should be used with discretion since it will completely remove the payroll run as indicated in the screenshot below.
* If you are using a Third Party system for your HRIS and need to change your pay cycles for a specific pay group, you will edit the current pay group and change the External Pay Group ID to "ZZ" in order to disconnect the sync between TRAX and your HRIS. You can then create a new pay group and enter the correct External Pay Group ID to sync to the new pay group with the updated pay cycles.
If you create a new pay group, you will want to make sure all of the corresponding employees are moved to the new pay group. You can update this information on each employee's General tab under "Pay Group" in the Status section. Or, you can do this for a group of employees at once using the bulk edit feature.
Employee pay stubs can be printed on your company check stock. Simply select the position of the check and then check or uncheck what fields you’d like to show. Descriptions of each field in the screenshot above will help you see where the information will be shown on the check.
Time Card is only used if you are using TRAXPayroll’s Time Tracking feature.
- Manual Entry Type - Employees can punch in and out, or manually enter in their time. Select how you want the data to be entered.
- Unapproved Email Reminder Days - Set the number of days prior to the payroll due date that you want email reminders to go out to payroll administrators for unapproved time sheets.
- Allow Future Manual Punch - Allows employees to enter time in advance.
- Allow Partial Manual Punch - Allows employees to enter incomplete shifts.
- Require Time Card Import - Require hours to be imported from other time tracking systems. This allows importing to be done per pay group so other pay groups can use time tracking in TRAXPayroll, if desired.
- Require Time Off Import - Require time off to be imported from other time keeping systems. This allows importing to be done per pay group so other pay groups can use time off in TRAXPayroll, if desired.
- Signature Lines 1 - 3 - Up to three signature lines can be added to time sheet reports for employees and managers to verify their time.
- Note - Add notes.
Click “Next” at the bottom of the page to move on to Pay Cycles.
Lastly, TRAXPayroll will ask questions about your pay schedule to determine pay periods and pay dates. These questions will differ based on the period frequency previously selected. Once you enter this information, click “Generate” to create the payroll cycle.
Pay Groups and Pay Cycles can easily be updated or removed if needed. Simply click the Action button next to the Pay Group. Choose from the following options:
- End - as of today (Today’s date)
- End - on specific date
- Make change - to correct existing record
- Update the necessary information and click save your changes.
- Void - created by mistake but has history
- Remove - created by mistake